JAPANESE SHIBORI DYEING WITH LINDA ELKINS
IN THIS WORKSHOP WE WILL EXPLORE FIVE TYPES
OF SHIBORI WITH INDIGO DYE:
Pleating, folding, stitching, clamping and pole wrapping
Instructor will provide:
One silk scarf for each student approximately 12” X 60”
Five Gallon buckets, newspapers, table cloths, gloves (good rubber/latex gloves or medical type gloves)
Clothes pins, rubber bands, buttons, small flat pieces of wood, dowels for stirring, and face masks
Participants need to bring:
1. Fabric: 100% silk and /or cotton or 100% linen, pale colors or white works best–Wash fabric before dyeing. Participants may bring up to 2 yards fabric, T shirt, Dinner napkins, Table runner. Please do not try to dye over three yards at a time.
2. Sponge paint brush (optional), about 1-2” wide (Walmart, Hardware)
3. Cotton cord (Walmart, Hardware)
4. Buttonhole or upholstery thread, any color (Walmart, Joanns)
5. Sewing needles–2 long, sharp, larger eye (Walmart, Joanns)
6. PVC pipe: 3” diameter, about 18” long (Hardware)
NOTE: Students may bring small pieces of their own to experiment.
A WORK SHIRT OR APRON IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AS INDIGO STAINS!